1. WHAT IS TIME MANAGEMENT?
Time Management, time goals, responsibilities, tastes and hobbies in a balanced way to be divided; It means planning and realizing the activities related to social life, family life, private life and work life in an effective and efficient manner.
2. HOW IS THE TIME CONCEPT DEFINED?
The concept called time; It is an abstract concept whose beginning and end is unknown, created by the succession of events that happened before and after that. It is not visible by hand. It is not possible to replace, return, renew or purchase.
Time can be divided into objective (real) and subjective (perceived) time. Objective time is the time or calendar time that can be measured and observed. Subjective time is difficult to measure and evaluate; According to some fast, slow, according to some, scarce for some, abundant for some, expensive for some, according to some cheap source.
3. WHY IS TIME MANAGEMENT IMPORTANT?
The concept of time includes a history consciousness. It is important for human beings to be organized, to plan and implement the future. To become aware of time, to try to manage time, to create a calendar means. The calendar first began in Egypt in the 5000s BC. This process can be accepted as the beginning of the recognition of the universe and the understanding of the importance of science. People have been transmitting information for 7000 years. It can be said that the process of human being is the process of understanding the importance of time and using it effectively.
Managing time means managing life. Managing time means man’s self-management. Life consists of moments. Moments are time. If we accept that life is valuable, we must realize that the moments that make up it are also valuable. The only difference between two successful and unsuccessful people is not the time they have, but how they use it. Time is a gift, a source, given to us during our lifetime.
4. Why do people waste their time?
The only reason for this is the lack of information on this issue. Most people are unaware that time needs to be controlled. We never think of how little time we actually have to achieve success in life. We never figured out how much time we wasted. Most people do not have a consciousness of managing time, a system and strategy.
5. WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF MANAGING TIME?
The most important gain is the satisfaction and the sense of accomplishment that will be created by the fulfillment of the responsibilities of the person in her work, family, social life and himself. Conscious use of scarce resources and time; increase in productivity and performance, career advancement, time for personal development, self-confidence will result in such results, which will bring all material and moral gains.
6. WHAT IS THE PLACE OF TIME MANAGEMENT IN BUSINESS?
Business life is competitive. To be able to adapt to constantly changing environmental conditions, to analyze the market, competitors and customers well, to perceive and fulfill customer demands and needs, to compete with time. In order to reach productivity and quality targets, enterprises must produce the most products with the highest quality and deliver them to the customers on time by using scarce resources in the most effective way. Of the scarce resources, time should be considered the most important resource. Because it can not be stored and can not be returned. Therefore, the most important area of time management is business life. Organizations that know the value of time take the lead in competition.
7. WHERE SHOULD YOU START TO WORK FOR TIME MANAGEMENT?
It is necessary to start by recording the activities in which a day or a working day is spent. General calculations of our life;
- By sleeping 32%
- Working 20%
- Eating 10%
- Travel 9%
- 8% of personal care
- 8% by learning
- 7% We spend
- 6% with other activities.
It is seen that we have very little time to achieve success in business life. Time spent in business environment; work, telephones, meetings, guests, business meetings, meals, tea, coffee chats, newspapers, magazines, reading documents, etc., browsing the Internet, reading e-mails, waiting and passes through other jobs. First of all, we need to record where our time is spent. We should record this record on a schedule as follows, then analyze and evaluate it.
8. HOW IS THE ANALYSIS AND EVALUATION MADE?
Different methods can be applied for the analysis and evaluation of the works. For example, firstly every hour or half an hour;
- whether your time selection is correct or not. Later,
- what you do
- whether your business choice is correct
- whether these works are important and urgent
- what time you do
- whether in the shortest time possible without compromising on quality or optimal time
- what is hindering or facilitating your business
If you had the necessary skills and tools, you can analyze and evaluate whether you will do it more effectively and in less time.
It is useful to use the following table for such an analysis.
In addition, it is possible to get more effective by registering in a Daily Block Schedule, which will record events that interfere with our business. The information we will record in a chart like the following can then be analyzed to determine what blocks us and what we can do to eliminate them.
In this way, it is possible to fight against time-consumers or in other words time thieves.
9. WHAT ARE THE TIMES THIEF?
There are many factors that consume time. At the beginning
- lack of planning
- fail to prioritize
- postpone jobs, income
- Others are;
- Red tape
- Routine and unnecessary work
- Unnecessary phones
- Unexpected guests
- Agenda and inefficient meetings
- Technical problems
- Unable to delegate authority
- Messy table and desk layout
- Searching for lost things
- Open door policy
- Not being able to say no
- Dedicate yourself to too much work
- Not being able to concentrate
10. HOW TO Cope With Time Thieves?
Our main guideline in dealing with time thieves is our goals and responsibilities. If we haven’t had the habit of working for purpose and living, we won’t even be aware of time thieves. Thus, this precious gift / time given to us with our lives, just like sand particles, flows through our hands. For this reason, the first thing to do is to have time awareness and to determine the aims and targets. Then we need to set our priorities. Tips for effective scheduling are provided in bulk:
- Setting goals
- Determination of priorities
- Deferment of important transactions
- Determination of positive and development characteristics
- Arranging the table and space
- Rapid and timely decision-making
- Making a daily plan
- Transfer of some of the works
- Not on every ringing phone
- Learning to speak effectively on the phone and using e-mail when necessary
- Conducting meeting meetings
- Determination of visiting hours
- Implement maintenance planning to minimize technical disruptions
- Fifty ways to say no
11. HOW TO IMPROVE TIME AWARENESS?
The consciousness of the society and the environment is effective in this regard. Reading, observing successful people and training are very important. However, since time management is an individual issue, everything depends on the individual. A single tool is necessary and sufficient for successful time management. This is the person and must be mentally prepared for it first. If the person has the desire to succeed, is confident, has the desire to change and the desire to struggle, has the necessary information and continues to apply undaunted in this regard can achieve incredible results.
You should definitely get rid of these thoughts;
- It is not possible to be organized in this society
- The idea of underestimating things, ım I can do it anyway ”
- Anxiety or self-confidence
- Prejudices such as “Time cannot be managed, these techniques are not for me”
- The idea of “Let us live our lives”.
12. WHAT ARE THE PLAN AND PLANNING PRINCIPLES?
A plan is a decision, a set of decisions, a result. Planning is the process of predicting the future. In this process, future events are mentally pre-designed. The plan must be written and give answers to the following questions;
- What to do?
- How is it going to be made?
- Where to do?
- Why do it?
- Who will do it?
- How soon?
- At what cost?
Briefly, 5N, 1K, 2H is easier to keep in mind. Plans can be short, medium, long term. What is important is the harmony between these plans. The daily work should bring us closer to our long-term plans.
It should be noted that the planning process is an analysis and evaluation process. General and then detailed plans should be made. The realization of the plan should be monitored, evaluated and necessary corrections made on time.
13. HOW TO MAKE A DAILY PLAN?
There are four simple steps to creating a time plan.
1. Identify possible jobs
2. Set the current time
3. Compare and sync
4. Finalize your schedule.
The daily plan usually includes work from the previous day, pre-planned work for that day, regular tasks, new jobs, no account, appointments, telephones, correspondence. Using the calendar provides important benefits. Our agenda should always be with us. Here’s an example of a daily plan:
Planning the day in advance
The day must be planned in advance. The best way is to plan the day before the day starts or the evening before. 10 minutes is enough for this job. At the end of the day, the evaluation of the day must be made and the next day’s plan should be made.
14. HOW TO TOWER UNEXPECTED WORKS AND REGULATIONS?
The following suggestions can be guided;
- Throw away anything that doesn’t work for you, or give it to someone else you think will work.
- File and remove everything you have not discarded or given
- Keep only your current job on your desk
- Do one job at a time
- Set the end time
- Do boring but important work first
- Finish what you started
- Always use a calendar
- Start the day early
- Have a good secretary
- Don’t include distractions in your office
- Take advantage of time-saving tools
- Change the way you use your phone
- Get rid of negative emotions, motivate yourself
- Reward yourself
- Tell others about things
- Never compromise your priorities
15. WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO KNOW AND SORT PRIORITIES?
The ability to know and rank priorities is the result of goal-oriented work and planning skills. If we have an idea about our purpose and what we’re fighting for, we have priorities. But most of us;
- Instead of things we don’t like
- Instead of the long one
- The easy one instead of the hard one
- Instead of what we don’t know
- Routine instead of complex
- What is important instead of the urgent
- We tend to do what others want, instead of our own choice.
- However, knowing priorities means;
- Dealing with important things first
- Then look at the urgent ones
- Concentrate on a single job in a given time frame
- Staying guided by the objectives
- Identify and transfer works that can be done by others
- Continuously improving our knowledge and skills
- Spending time for our family, social environment and hobbies means.
ABC Analysis can be utilized in this regard.
16. WHAT IS ABC ANALYSIS?
ABC Analysis means separating jobs as A / Very Important, B / Important, C / Routine, Jobs and also evaluating urgent ones within this category. For example, if an urgent job is a routine job, it should never prevent an important job for us. Can be done by others.
The relationship between the value of the activity and the time spent is as follows;
Very important jobs take up 15% of the time used, but the value between activities is 65%. These jobs have a lasting impact on the quality of life. However, despite the fact that the activity value of routine works is 15%, they take 65% of the time. In the determination and implementation of priorities, in line with ABC Analysis;
- Create a detailed list of all jobs
- Determine their severity
- Sort by A, B, C
1. Concentrate on networks
2. Delegate these
3. Discard Cs (not your job)
It is useful to create a file system. Urgent and very important tasks should always be kept in a separate file. Also, projects, with the development of yourself, you have files about new ideas and keep them up to date.
17. WHAT IS THE BEST TIME CONCEPT?
The best time is to determine the level of daily energy and efficiency of a person and to perform important and complex tasks in a period of high energy. We need to draw an energy map for ourselves and use the time we can be most productive in the most efficient way. Our daily energy level is the biological rhythm of our body, also called biorhythm. Although everyone’s biorhythm is different, the first hours of a working day are generally considered more efficient between 8.00-11.00. Our energy level decreases towards noon. Then it rises again around 15.00.
18. DO I NEED TO TRANSFER AUTHORITY?
Delegation of authority is mandatory and a skill to be learned. In order to devote time to important tasks, to develop ourselves, to improve our employees, to increase motivation and to make more use of their knowledge, it is necessary to delegate authority. If you, as a manager, are taking home work, working more than you manage, spending time with details and routine work, often answering questions from others, having to make decisions instead, you need to delegate authority urgently. The rules of delegation are as follows:
- Specify the job (s) to transfer
- Select the person (s) to transfer
- Set purpose
- Determine how
- Give completion date
- Allow them to observe while you do the work
- Guide them while they do
- Get rid of the obsession of what I do best
- Answer your questions but don’t interfere
- Use your control
- Know that you share responsibility
- Accept method differences
- Accept errors if there is no intent
- Build a system that learns from errors
- Make good use of the time you save by delegating authority
19. WHAT ARE THE CHALLENGES DURING THE AUTHORITY?
Although delegation seems easy to delegate, it is a difficult issue in practice. This difficulty exists both for the delegator and the transferee. The person who has delegated authority may have the fear of losing control of the job or even losing the job. Failure to do the job properly brings with it the risk. As delegation requires a long-term perspective, there are difficulties in acquiring this habit. Delegation of authority is an important management skill and essential for time management.
20. WHAT CAN YOU SAY ABOUT TIME MANAGEMENT?
To make life worth living, we need to realize this precious treasure given as time. Time used effectively is an indicator of an active mind. How true is the saying of “If young people can know, old people can do”. Those who use time wisely from an early age are rewarded with a meaningful and successful life. To control time is to control life. However, there are 40/60 rules that we should not forget. This rule is: No matter how much time we plan time, but we can control 60%. The remaining 40% is never lost.
Using time doesn’t mean being a workaholic. On the contrary, finding time for jobs that may be meaningful to the person means living life to the fullest. Therefore, it is not only a method to be applied in business life. It is a holistic system for all areas of life for a balanced and fulfilling life. We must be conscious of time thieves, and learn to say no if necessary. Having the courage to say no to small things in life will give you the power to say yes to big things.
You can follow us on Reddit.
I suggest that we review our other articles.